Institute of Geological Sciences
Pl. Maksa Borna 9
50-204 Wrocław, Poland
tel. (+48) 71 321-10-76
fax. (+48) 71 375-93-71
Department of Physical Geology
Head: Professor Jacek Szczepański
- structural and metamorphic evolution of crystalline complexes, Sudetes, Variscan belt;
- sedimentation of the Permian and Carboniferans systems in SW Poland;
- morphometric analysis of active topography;
- global tectonic processes.
Department of Mineralogy and Petrology
Head: Professor Marek Awdankiewicz
- petrology, mineralogy, geochemistry, age and tectonic setting of crystalline complexes of the Sudetes and their foreland (ophiolitic assemblages, volcanic successions, granitoid intrusions, structural and metamorphic evolution of rock complexes and regional shear zones);
- mineralogy and petrology of Cenozoic formations and hypergenic products in SW Poland and associated mineral deposits (hydrothermal and hypergenic mineralizations, clay deposits, heavy minerals, treatment of mineral materials);
- geochemical and isotopic environmental studies on recent natural and man-made geological processes (pollution of soil and water, palaeoclimatic changes, utilization of mining and industrial wastes).
Department of Experimental Petrology
Head: Professor Jacek Puziewicz
Applications of petrology, mineralogy and geochemistry in geological and environmental problems. In particular:
- origin and distribution of petrological and geochemical heterogeneites in the Earth's mantle;
- formation and evolution of continental and oceanic crust;
- magma differentiation reflected in major and accessory minerals;
- environmental effects of mining and slag disposal;
- archeometric studies of ancient mineral construction materials and metals;
- impact of bioweathering processes, including bacteria, fungus and root exudates on mineral alteration;
- stable isotope studies of atmospheric pollutants genesis (gaseous/particulate matter/ions in precipitation).
Department of Economic Geology
Head: Professor Andrzej Solecki
- ore-mineralization in sedimentary, metamorphic, granitic, basic and ultrabasic rocks;
- natural radioactivity in various geological settings.
Department of Structural Geology and Geological Mapping
Head: Professor Paweł Aleksandrowski
- Variscan and Alpine tectonics of SW Poland;
- Paleozoic tectonometamorphic evolution of crystalline complexes of the Sudetic region;
- sedimentation and diagenesis of Permo-Carboniferous succession in SW Poland;
- karst studies, geophysical modeling and surveying;
- GIS application to geological mapping;
H. Teisseyre Geological Museum
Head: Dr Paweł Raczyński
- evolution of fauna and flora during Earth's history; geology of the Sudetes Mts. and their foreland and Fore-Sudetic Block exhibition of rocks and fossils.
Department of General Hydrogeology
Head: Dr hab. Sebastian Buczyński
- groundwater occurrence in porous, fractured and karstic system
- water balance, groundwater resources and mapping of major groundwater basins in SW Poland.
- groundwater flow and contaminant migration modelling
Department of Applied Hydrogeology
Head: Dr hab. Henryk Marszałek
- changes of hydrogeological conditions in selected areas of Lower Silesia region under the influence of anthropopresion;
- water balance and groundwater resources in the catchment of the upper and middle Odra river;
- cartographical methods of studying major groundwater basins in southwestern Poland.
- groundwater flow and contanint migration modelling
Department of Isotopic and Applied Geology
Head: Professor M. Jędrysek
- petrology and isotope geology of mafic-ultramafic rocks;
- isotope record of global/regional variations in natural environment, biogeochemical cycles, mechanisms of methanogenesis.
- geology of brown coal basins, monitoring soil surface and deep-seated movements in brown coal open pits.
Department of Stratigraphical Geology
Head: Dr hab. Anna Górecka-Nowak
- microfossils in metamorphic rocks of the Sudetes;
- conodont-based stratigraphy of the Late Paleozoic in the Sudetes
- palynostratigraphy of the Carboniferous in the Sudetes;
- macrofauna of western Poland.